วันศุกร์ที่ 23 มกราคม พ.ศ. 2552

Obama, Me and the Blackberry

I have quite a few things in common with Obama, and even more things dissimilar. The one similarity however that has surprised and intrigued me is his open affection for his blackberry. I didn't agree with him on many political and social issues, but boy do I get him when it comes to his feelings about his blackberry. To come between me and my blackberry is like coming between an NRA fanatic and his gun; "The only way your going to get it is to pry it from my cold dead hands!" This may seem extreme to anyone who has not experienced the power of what that little machine can do.

Blackberry aficionados tend to be people with busy lives who want to maintain order. We want to remain personal and personable without appearing to work at it. There are those who are blessed with a natural recall that allows them to remember names, faces, dates and personal information. They will, with ease, meet someone they have not seen for a period of time and greet them by name and personalize the contact by asking about a family member by name. The person who is greeted will then feel special and pleased at having been remembered in such detail. Well I am not like that. I need a cheat sheet! My blackberry is my cheat sheet. I can quickly store info about a person along with their phone number and even their face (if they would allow a photo). My recall of faces is just fine; it's all the other details after that which are problematic. It is just not cool to say "I know you from somewhere, I recognized your face, just tell me your name and who you are and what you do again?"

My blackberry also entertains me and keeps me healthy. My exercise routine would not be complete without the accompaniment of my music, which my blackberry provides. I have uploaded on my blackberry's mp3 over 100 songs, which gives me more than enough time to engage in a 30 - 60 minute workout routine. While walking I can listen to something and not miss any callers who may wish to contact me during that time. With the addition of the Bluetooth, I am hands free to accept my calls, and once the call is terminated, I am once again surrounded by my music. It is all so convenient.

Like most PDA's today, the blackberry is also able to go on the internet and access files and e-mails. For me this was not a big seller. I access the internet from my desk computer and don't care to watch video's or read e-mail on such a small screen. But for those who love their social networking, IMing or texting, the blackberry can do all that for you also.

If all these features above don't do it for you, well this last feature is the one that sold it for me. I suspect that this feature may be the one Obama and I love the most. Like most PDA's the blackberry can store appointments, names and addresses as well as other data. However, the blackberry also syncs up with my Microsoft outlook program. What that means is that although I am away from my desk I can still make an office appointment without worrying about my schedule availability. My blackberry is synced to my office calendar at the end of every day and again at the beginning of the work day. The two calendars match without taking valuable time to manually input or delete updated entries. For the busy professional this is a work of genius.

After reading that President Obama would be denied his blackberry for security reasons I felt an empathetic rush of pain. Having experienced the intensity of love that one can have for one's blackberry, I began to worry about how he will adjust to being forcibly separated from such a large part of his life. On the campaign trail he had been trying to kick the nicotine habit, I don't know how successful he was at that. Now he was being asked to kick the blackberry habit. Sometimes I think service to this country asks too much! Well President Obama, I want you to know I am here for you. Did I mention that I am a psychotherapist? I will be glad to provide you some supportive therapy during this adjustment period. Your fellow blackberry addicts salute you and admire you for the sacrifice you are making for your country.

Allison Bonilla MSW, LCSW
Awareness Counseling Center
2425 S. Volusia Ave. Ste. B-4
Orange City Fl. 32763
(386) 774-1330
http://www.awarenesscounseling.com
http://sanityinsight.blogspot.com/

Allison Bonilla has been in private practice for 10 years in Orange City, Florida. She has been in the field of Social Work for over 20 years. Her experience includes working with children and families in crisis situations, through governmental agencies. She has been a presenter at various professional conferences. She also volunteers with her local church. Her Masters in Social Work was obtained at Adelphi University in New York. She is a Licensed Master of Social Work in New York State, and is a Licensed Clinical Social Worker in Florida.

She is a professional Christian Counselor who successfully integrates a biblical world view with psychological theories in an attempt to assist her clients achieve optimal health. Her approach is holistic, with a strong slant towards Cognitive Behavioral theories. Allison Bonilla is a member of the North American Association of Christians in Social Work, and National Association of Social Workers.

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=A_Bonilla

ไม่มีความคิดเห็น: